Monday, July 8, 2019

The Panel Biter: Teething

Aye, it me.
So. It's been five months since I've written something for this blog. I stopped writing consistently before that though, only writing from time to time. I've also slowed down on podcasting. Current, myself and my friends Seth and David are doing The Weekly Flip podcast again, catch on that our Facebook, if you want. There's a few with me and my fiancĂ© Maci too. Oh, yeah, still working on wedding plans. By November of next year, if all goes well. 
I only say that because things haven't been easy for me lately. Back in May, I lost my job. I won't get too far into it, but I guess I wasn't meeting exceptions. I was unemployed for five weeks. Every time I thought I had a job lined up and I'd get psyched about it, something would come up. Like the position not being needed anymore or someone else on the application before me or just someone generally not being as impressed by me as they had me think. And of course with no job comes Unemployment Checks, loss of medical coverage, budgeting, and an email account full of Indeed job listings. I tried working temporarily with my father in landscaping, but-and this may surprise you-a big nerd like me did not care for physical labor. Honestly, my body wasn't built for it. I'd come home tired, sweaty, dirty, sometimes I would have trouble breathing because of how hard I had to work to keep up the pace. I couldn't even making it through my last day without telling my dad's boss I just couldn't do it anymore.
And that was tough to talk about. Not with my Father, but with my Mother. I don't want to talk too much about my parents, but they have very different approaches to motivating their children. Both ways work, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't have such a strong work ethic if it weren't for my Mother being so critical of me. But, I also wouldn't have so much respect for my health and happiness if it weren't for my Dad reminding me to accept my limits. Anyway, I worked a week of landscaping and only got a slim of a check doing it. I swear, there were days I came home in three colors: pale skin, red burns, and brown with dirt.
Back in April I went to New York for a few days with my girlfriend Maci. The first night we stayed in New York City, we went to the top of the Empire State Building around 9pm. And all the way up there, seeing the city surround us and looking down over everything, I proposed to Maci. And she said yes. The ring, the trip, the food, it nearly killed my bank account. And I wasn't scared. I knew I had a job, I knew I had savings, and I knew I had time to make that money back. I had no idea I could be fired for "not being fast enough". I was fired two weeks after getting back from that trip. After the most important and wonderful moment of my life, I came home to managers who knew they were going to cut me loose. And that's how it's been ever since. Every time I get a little bit ahead, something happens.
Today starts the third week I've been working for a small distribution center fifteen minutes from my house. And it's nice. I don't wake up at the crack of dawn. I'm not rushed, or anxious, I don't feel stressed going to work or leaving work, like I have in the past. I can work at my own pace, eat whenever, use my phone, it's so nice to feel comfortable at my job. And I work with like four people, all of them a few generations older than me. So no drama, no aggression, and for once I work somewhere where my voice is heard and my opinion matters. I don't have to fight my way through levels of corporate superiority to ask a simple question. I like it. It doesn't pay that well and it's not forty-hours, but it's still nice.
I don't know, a lot has happened and I was already feeling down on blogging and podcasting, so maybe all my misfortune was a sign that I needed to slow down. I can't rebuild my life in a day or a week. I need to take what I have and move as steady as I have to. But, like I said, I'm still doing stuff. Stuff for nobody. No, wait. Stuff for me.
I think I deserve it.
Thanks Raffi.

No comments:

Post a Comment